Apostilles are not standard and should only be requested if needed. An Apostille is a secondary form of authentication. Most commonly, apostilled are needed for students who are working or studying outside the United States of America.
The Office of the Secretary of State is the only office in New Mexico authorized to issue a certification, or apostille, for a notarized document going to a foreign country.The Apostille process does take some time, both to produce the original document and for you to send and receive your documents from the State of New Mexico. Begin this process as soon as possible.
Please see the State of New Mexico Apostille Information for steps to complete after you have receive the notarized documents from New Mexico State University: https://www.sos.state.nm.us/notary-and-apostille/apostille-and-certifications/
Diploma Apostille Process
Note: Both current and former students can apply for Notarizing of diplomas.
- Request a Notarized diploma online. The cost for a notarized diploma is $10, plus shipping.
- The notarized diploma will be sent to the address you specify on the form, by USPS First Class Mail.
- NMSU will receive the request, notarize, and mail out the document.
- Student receives the notarized diploma.
- Student prepares the Apostille Form, in accordance with requirements by the Secretary of State.
- Student mails the notarized documentation, prepaid and addressed envelope, Apostille form with a check or money order for the fee to the Secretary of State.
- The Secretary of State will receive the form and then send the Apostille affixed to the notarized document.